Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Regular


Every time I have ever been to this cafe on 2nd Avenue, a cute, white-haired lady in her housecoat has been sitting in the same spot, munching on bread and sipping a mug of coffee. It's unclear whether she pays for her food but the guys treat her well and something about her presence makes the place seem sweeter. Every now and then she calls out to the waiter to top her off and she talks about the weather to anyone who will listen. This time, I got there first, and as she shuffled past me I looked up in time to see the soft, wispy whiskers sprouting from her chin. At the same time, she noticed the waiter and said, "oh, you didn't shave today?"
"uh, no."
"Why not?"
"Well, sometimes I like to let my beard grow out a little." She paused, not thinking much of his new style.
"Well," she said, "we all have our reasons."

2 comments:

candace feit said...

i demand more blogging please. this totally made MY day. well really, my night. but i feel so good reading this that it might very well carry over into tomorrow.

GCD said...

It's good of you to share things like this, H. Sweet and sad and funny all wrapped together. I really love your blog.